This is the weblog of our adventures. It started with our trip to New Zealand and Australia, but nowadays is just a place for our day to day posts. Follow us on our adventures and let us know what you think!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Volkl Gotoma Twin-Tip Powder Skis

Details: 183cm, radii 25.9/28.5, sidecut 133-105-124mm, sensorwood core, twin tip
Average retail price: $679
Conditions: Kirkwood (Lake Tahoe) white-out blizzard conditions, 18 inches of fresh powder in 24 hours.
Terrain: Freshly powdered (normally groomed) intermediate trails, off-trail advanced tree skiing, out-of-bounds hiking.
Review: This is the first time I have skiied a non-K2 ski in over 15 years, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. These are the same length as my 10-year old K2 Four shaped skis (advanced for their time), but with their 103-70-93mm dimensions, the K2's have been failing miserably at keeping me above powder as of late. With about 40% more surface area, the Volkl's floated above the "Sierra cement" effortlessly. On the wide trails, I had a blast tearing through 6-12 inches of powder, and in the trees it was no harder to carve tight turns in 18-24 inches. At almost $700, these are out of my price range for a niche ski when we have so few powder days in Tahoe, but at $54 for a demo day, they were a dream to ski on.
Score (scale of 1-3): 3 - Loved them, would buy if I had 4 or more powder days a season

No comments:

Contributors